Monday, December 04, 2006

Here is a short film on You Tube about the Anvil Hill campaign to stop an open cut coal mine near Wybong in the Upper Hunter Valley.

Christine Phelps, an amazing community advocate, is featured in the film. I was lucky enough to meet her and interview her for my thesis- she spoke to me about the efforts she has made over the years to try to keep coal companies accountable to local people.

Also, today, Kevin Rudd was elected as leader of the opposition. I'm actually really excited about this. He recently gave an excellent speech critiquing Hayek's neoliberal ideas at that bastion of neoliberal thought, the Centre for Independent Studies.

My grandma (my mum's mum) died this morning. We just got back from the Nursing home, where we said a few decades of the Rosary (Hail Marys) around the bed. She was clutching her wooden rosary beads. It was also my parents' 35th wedding anniversary, and my youngest brother (John)'s birthday.

No comments: