Tuesday, May 08, 2007

social change.... how does/can it happen?

how can activists stop being the dull noise in the background?
or the 'squeaky wheel' - that always complains when given an opportunity...

You know, I think there is a massive disconnect between the public image of activists and their self image.
And i don't even know which one is more accurate.

The self-image of activists is constructed by the urgency of the situations they find themselves in.
"I am holding the fort: I am holding the dam wall to stop if from bursting; I am the one who makes the difference."

This is the kind of motivational talk we give ourselves all the time:

"If i just do one more task, one more meeting, ten more leaflets...

And i clicked into that frame of mind again yesterday. I had been avoiding it for such a long time!!

I sat with Diana in the cafe, and she offloaded all her troubles and challenges onto me. She is organising BUSES to PERTH, and fundraising for poor students to get there! and whilst doing this, she is also grieving for her deceased father!!!

And i really felt the weight of all her troubles (I had to organise buses to Perth a few years ago). And it all came flooding back- the feelings of hopelessness (i was slightly incompetent)- and desperation that desirable social change would happen soon.

and all of a sudden i felt so tired.
i came home after being in the SRC for a few hours and mumbled something to my mum - and she got all worried about me, and gave a defensive speech to me, thinking i was annoyed at her. it's all so dysfunctional!!

No comments: